The Basics: Property Insurance for Non-profits

Every nonprofit owns business property, and you may also own the building in which you run your operations. Property insurance protects the physical assets your nonprofit owns–such as computers, office equipment, buildings, furniture, fixtures, and other property.

Every nonprofit should have a comprehensive property insurance portfolio to respond to the many risks associated with property ownership. Property policies offer many unique coverages, some of which we have highlighted:

  • Building Coverage – Allows you to quickly rebuild or repair buildings or other property damaged by fire, theft, natural disaster, or other events, allowing you to return to normal operations.
  • Business Personal Property Coverage – Covers costs to replace the contents in your building if they are stolen or destroyed by a covered unforeseen event.
  • Business Income Coverage – Provides for continued income or lost revenues while the building and its contents are being rebuilt and replaced. Business income helps you to cover operating and normal payroll expenses needed to keep an organization operating after a loss, usually for a specific time period.
  • Fine Arts Coverage – Covers loss or damage to artwork or sculptures housed in your building.
  • Building Ordinance Coverage – Covers the increased cost to comply with building codes, ordinances, or laws that have changed after your building was originally constructed. For example, under new building codes your building may be required to have a sprinkler system, which will increase construction costs.
  • Outdoor Signs and Property Coverage – Covers costs to replace outdoor fences, signs, trees, shrubs, or plants.
  • Equipment Breakdown Coverage – Covers loss due to failure or breakdown of equipment such as boilers, heating systems, and electrical equipment.
  • Computer Coverage – Insures the costs to replace or repair damaged hardware, software, data, or media vital to your operations.
  • Back-up of Sewer – Provides insurance to cover the costs to repair or replace items damaged by back-up or overflow of a sewer or drain.
  • Earthquake Coverage – Provides insurance to repair or replace damaged equipment and/or buildings resulting from an earthquake. Earthquake coverage is typically excluded under most property policies.

Recent Posts


See all